Sunday 14 August 2011

Kununarra

 After leaving Katherine we stayed one night at a low cost camping site at Big Horse Creek. This was our first view of the famous Boab tree. After viewing many around the campsite we thought this was the most interesting. That night we expierenced our first problem with our camp cooker. Luckily a kind fellow camper allowed us to use their cooking facilities. As I write to you we have not solved the issue with the cooker but luckily have been able to cook our meals and use it but have not diagnosed the problem.
 The wild man from Borneo, (NorthernTerritory), mind you there have been a few jibes that I look like father christmas.HA HA (Nick Linton) Sue totally agrees with this description!
 Benjamin's birthday celebrated at Kunnanurra. We put up a few balloons and after a few birds tried to land on them resulting in a big pop, they stayed away from us for the rest of the day. Benjamin enjoyed his breakfast cooked by Jake of french toast with bananna and maple syrup. A very special treat as the one bananna cost us $3.50, but it was good. Benjamin opened a number of presents and was waited on hand and foot by his brothers. I also enjoyed the day as I got to shave my beard off. It was a joy to have all that itchy stuff off my face. The boys thought I looked weird, I didn't care I was more comfortable.
                                                               Zebidee springs
                                                                     Emma Gorge
 We stayed in Kununurra for 5 nights. One of the highlights was our day trip to El Questro. We traveled along the Gibb River Road and visited Zebedee Springs. These springs were very hot and the water was somewhere between 28 and 32 degrees. We really enjoyed them the water felt hotter than any other springs we had visited. It was like a spa without bubbles. But the boys tried to provide as many bubbles as they could. We must have stayed in the water for at least an hour. The boys enjoyed catching frogs and tadpoles in the springs, Sue and I just lazed about it, was very relaxing. We then ventured further along the Gibb River road through some water crossings that we conquered to El Questro and had a look around. We then back tracked and visited Emma Gorge, after having lunch. We walked for an hour to reach the gorge/waterfall. We were all rather tired and the track was designed for mountain goats as there were many large rocks to climb. Benjamin found it the hardest but he was a little trooper and soldiered on. The end result was magnificent. The waterfall was picturesque but the water was freezing. Benjamin ventured out with Liam, Jake and I but he decided to return. Sue felt the water and was the designated photographer/videographer. Liam, Jake and I ventured out swam to the other edge of the gorge, then the waterfall and swam back. It was a beautiful setting and hopefully the photo's do it justice. Our car not a 4WD did well and negotiated the corrugated parts of the dirt track. After speaking to people who have driven along the entire Gibb River Road from Derby to Kunnunarra they informed us that the roughest part of the road was from Emma Gorge to Kunnunarra. So we did pretty well. The Kimberleys are truly gods country (to coin a phrase from my dad).
                                                                  Lake Argyle

 After having a rest day after our Gibb River Road trip we then ventured to Lake Argyle. Sorry on our rest day we thought we would try to catch a barra. As you can see there are no photo's of any fish, it was bit of a disaster. We lost three lures and found one. Unfortuntley the Ord river dam is releasing a lot of water which results in faster rushing water at our fishing spot Ivanhoe Crossing. Anyway that's fishing and it looks like we have lost the opportunity to catch a barra. I'm sure we are due for some luck in WA with some sweet Emporer's, They are said to be great eating equivalent to our local snapper.

Anyway Lake Argyle was beautiful as seen from the pictures above, unfortunately there was not much to do if you did not want to do the a boat cruise which costs a family of five just over $300. We felt the same about Yellow Water in Kakadu, if you are not prepared to spend this amount of money then there is not much to see and they don't cater for families. Anyway I am all for people trying to earn a living but they wont be getting my $300 plus. I haven't told Liam and Jake but I plan to take them on a fishing charter trip, either in Broome or Exmouth and I know this will be a hit. So missing these cruises does not make Sue and I feel too guilty. I know Sue and Liam and Jake are also looking forward to a camel ride in Broome along cable beach. I have volunteered to be camera man as camels are smelly grumpy beasts, Benjamin will decide on the day, he is wise for a 5 year old.

Our last day in Kunnunarra we decided to visit a secret swimming spot that even many locals don't know about. We were told this by our neighbour at Katherine who was an avid camper and was from WA. So with a bit of sceptisisim we made our way down a dirt track. We drove about a couple of kms until I reached a very sandy section. We were literally in the middle of nowhere and not close to any major highway if we needed help. All I can remember saying to Sue was "stuff this I'll walk to see how far this swimming hole is". Liam and I walked along the dirt track, Jake wasn't feeling well after projectile vomiting in Kunnunarra a couple of days ago, so he looked after Sue and Benjamin. Liam and I eventually found Molly's Springs after about 20 minutes. Liam, Jake and I had a swim whilst Benjamin and Sue found the water too cold. There were a couple of people who turned up a little later but we had the springs to ourselves for about 30 minutes. It was very nice and refreshing and well and truly worth the walk. As you can see I am still upholding the sun smart message instilled in me by my later great uncle. I do have a bit of colour on my shoulders. So I apologise to all of you who have just finished your breakfast.

We are currently in Derby for a couple of days and then stay at Broome for a week. Last night we stayed at a lovely camping spot at Mary Pool for a night. Unfortunately we have been placed close to some' permanents' at our caravan park in Derby and they don't like kids. Sue and I are dealing with it with our usual diplomacy, even though these permanents are the closest thing to trailer trash as I have seen so far on our trip.

Not a great way to finish the blog but we are really having a good time. The last two days have consisted of lots of driving and Sue conducting classes in the back of the car. Tiredness by all and enforced school work usually leads to some forgetable moments and its fair to say they were not captured on video or camera.

Bye for now




No comments:

Post a Comment